Saturday, April 30, 2011

Trail Run

Today I discovered that I like running on trails.  This morning I read an article in the monthly town newspaper about the New Boston Rail Trail.  I was planning to complete my run along the main road in town, but the trail sounded better...

A deserted railroad bed from the Boston-Maine Rail line has been converted into a trail that makes a perfect location for long runs.  The trail runs parallel to the river approximately four miles to the neighboring town line.  Instead of running along the road dodging and worrying about traffic, you can cruise along the path and through the trees, listening to the birds and the flow of the river.

About three miles down the path is an 80' footbridge that spans the river.  It was built using the original granite abutments from the rail line.  Crossing the arching timber decking connects you to the second half of the trail path.  It is a beautiful sight.

Running on the trail was amazing and it made me think about the children's story, The Little Engine That Could.  Running or more specifically running in New England has been my mountain.  I have been doubting my ability at times to increase the distances and conquer the hills. Today was a day where I got to say, "I knew I could, I knew I could" because I completed a six mile run that felt smooth and easy.  My hard work and determination, mixed with a little optimism, made me the little engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

*