Saturday, December 10, 2011

Jingle Bell Run 5K

bells - check!

December 10 - Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way...

This morning we drove to Concord, NH to participate in the Jingle Bell Run 5K and our last race of the year.  This race was a nice follow-up to our Santa Shuffle last weekend in Manchester. Instead of donning santa suits though, I attached jingle bells to our running shoes this morning before leaving the house.

Today we continued to be granted with great running weather with temperatures in the 30s and plenty of sunshine.  The race was a benefit run for the Arthritis Foundation and another fun and festive way to kick off the holiday season.  Registration and bib pick-up was in the Rundlett Middle School cafe, and hundreds of people were decked out in their holiday gear: reindeer antler headbands, santa suits, elf costumes, candy cane striped socks, you name it!

5K ~ 28:30
Gathering at the start line, more and more people arrived dressed in the holiday garb including canines who would be accompanying their owners on this Jingle Bell Run.

My running partners and I enjoyed a wonderful loop-like run around Russell-Shea State Forest being cheered on by the locals in the neighborhood and serenaded by the hundreds of jingling bells attached to shoes and clothing. Approximately 600 runners made their way along the roads and pathways to the finish line. This was only the second race I've ever run in December, and I was not disappointed.  I love the high-spirited, jolly atmosphere.

Even though I will still be running through the end of year, I am a little sad that the races are over for 2011.  This has been my most successful and healthy year of running, and it has been a blast. Tomorrow I will be joining a fun run around the Manchester Airport, but it won't be the same without the crowds of people clothed in holiday costumes. But, oh what fun, it is to RUN...

Next year I am looking forward to new goals and new experiences in running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

*