Monday, December 17, 2012

TrainingTruths: Negative Splits

Last week I ran four times and on three of those runs my distance was five miles. Aiming for negative splits during a run is a goal for many runners, but I don't usually think about that. I did manage to complete each of my five milers faster than the last though. That counts, right? 

#TrainingTruth: Running should be automatic.

Every Tuesday and Thursday after work, Daisy and I head out for a run. Sticking to this routine makes it easier to stay motivated and gives me something to look forward to. It's harder to lose motivation when I have consistency to my workouts.   


  
#TrainingTruth: Changing up your route can help boost your energy.

Instead of running the same route we typically follow, we decided to try something new. A small change of scenery was all I needed to add a little excitement to my run and help melt the stress away.



#TrainingTruth: Running with friends is the best form of peer pressure.

We met up with the Winter Warrior group at our local running store for our Saturday run. Daisy and I went with the five mile group while my husband and step daughter opted for three miles. The lead pack on our route was really too fast for me, but that didn't stop me from trying to keep up.



BONUS: Mary from Mizuno was at Runner's Alley with bags of shoes for participants to try out. We all got to wear the new Wave Rider 16's. Even though I already have the 15s and love them, I want a pair of these! They felt so soft and comfy on the inside. Mary had on a cute white and purple pair that I'm adding to my Fitgear Wish List (babe, are you reading?)



#TrainingTruth: Sometimes you must sacrifice comfort in order to put in the miles.

Since we didn't really have a long run on Saturday, I accepted Daisy's offer to run some more miles on Sunday. We braved the below freezing temperature to up the weekly mileage and beat the winter weather coming.




#TrainingTruths is not just about me. We all like to see what everyone else is doing and use that information to assess ourselves. It's not judgement. It's a way to share and learn and make changes when necessary.

To participate all you have to do is share your #TrainingTruths:
  1. Tag a Twitter post with the hashtag #TrainingTruths
  2. Comment on the Running Escapades Facebook page 
  3. Leave a link to your own blog post in the comments
I look forward to reading your #TrainingTruths!




Have you joined the Chilly Challenge yet? Check out all the details here or skip right to the sign-up part and be sure to choose #TeamEscapades! Then be sure to invite all your friends: more people = more miles!





4 comments:

  1. I run with a big group of ladies and it is often challenging. Sometimes I think that's good, sometimes not so much! You have to balance it with easy runs, also. But I wouldn't trade their company for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT RUN!! I think I like winter running the best! And I know I love MIZUNOS! I say you can always use a new pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be so nervous when it came to running in groups..now, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all excellent truths and wonderful tips. nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

*