Friday, January 17, 2014

First Run 5K 2014

Finally a recap of my first 5K of the year! Happy Friday!

Once again I couldn't resist starting off the year with a race. mrC and I returned to Lowell, MA to run the First Run 5K on New Year's Day in the bitter cold.


I ran the 10K of this event in 2012 and 2013, but this year I decided the 5K was a better fit since it was a Wednesday and I'm still easing back into my weekly mileage. This year's race was bitter-sweet because my Gpa passed away the day before, so I dedicated the 3.1 miles to him.


It was a really, really cold race. My legs felt great in my Athleta polartec tights, but I had my hands and face bundled up until about half way. The course is easy with just a couple of small inclines and loops around a busy neighborhood. It's a popular race and since the course is not closed, there are places where you get stuck behind clumps of runners. I wasn't worried about my time, so this didn't bother me at all.


This was my first race since the BAA Half that I ran injured. It felt really good to be running again and I was happy to cross the finish in 29:36.


I'm really glad that I went ahead and ran this race. Although it felt wrong at first, running did make me feel better. Afterwards, I had planned to look for friends that I knew were running, but I just wasn't feeling very "peppy" so we headed home.


This was my first race for the #14in2014 challenge that I signed up for with Jill and Jen. You know me, I love challenges!


Did you run on New Year's Day? How was it?



13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's great that you decided to run and honor your grandpa the way runners do...with miles! I'm sure he was on your mind and in your heart.
    Congrats on your first race of 2014. I am also doing the 14 in 2014 challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to honor the memory of a loved one. I ran on NYD with Chad and although it was freezing we had a great time. Something about the feeling of a new year and starting it with a run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! I'm impressed you are motivated to run in such cold races... I'm eyeing some in February but thinking I'm going to wait to register that week depending on the weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran a 5K in Whitinsville and...brrr...it was cold. But compared to the days that followed, it was pretty mild! That was my first race of my 30 races in 2014! :-)
    Congrats on your run Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect way to honor your grandpa. I love that you put his photo on your bib. I also ran on New Years Day. I went out and ran the local Frosty 5K. It's the best way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No running for me, right now, but I'm proud of you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to honor your grandfather. Congrats on your run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Years 5ks are the best! You feel so accomplished! Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I haven't ran in a while....I'll get back to it soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. You are truly an inspiration to run in the bitter cold like that! It reminds me that I should get off of my butt and go for a run this afternoon. I did not run on New Year's we stayed home and put away the Christmas decorations. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't run on New Year's Day but I have gotten outside once in 2014 to train for my half marathon in 2014. My condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry about your loss. Grandpa's are always very special.

    Sounds like a good race and a good way to clear your head. I do not run in the cold, I don't have the gear for it and I freeze anytime it's less than 80. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

*